Bridgewater Pediatrics is hiring an experienced Medical Receptionist to work under the supervision of the Medical Reception Coordinator. Please send resume and cover letter by email to Louis Lemieux at firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION: Appointment Clerk/Medical Receptionist
REPORTS TO: Medical Reception Coordinator
TIME/STATUS: Full-time, Regular, Non-exempt
Under direction of the medical reception coordinator, the medical receptionist performs a variety of tasks as the first contact via telephone by the prospective patient with the practice. Essential duties include providing excellent customer/patient services via phone and in person; referring callers to the appropriate departments; making appointments for patients according to established protocols; assisting patients/families with forms. The position is considered a crucial link between the patient and the care delivered by clinical and service staff of the practice. The medical receptionist must work collaboratively with all clinical services staff in support of direct patient services, exhibiting flexibility and a “can do” attitude. Excellence in service to our patients and their families is our primary objective.
1. Performs day-to-day administrative functions and general office duties including but not limited to word processing, copying, filing, faxing, answering phones and data entry.
2. Provide information to patients and families concerning office policy and procedures; transfer phone calls ; work with central reception to ensure adequate phone coverage at all times.
3. Welcome and greet patients/parents/visitors to the practice in a manner that is helpful and
friendly; determine purpose of visit and direct patients/parents/visitors to appropriate person.
4. Schedule appointments for patients.
5. When scheduling appointments, carefully screens patients for new address, new patient visit or
update registration and informs patient of adequate information that must be presented at time of
6. Adheres to all practice policies on safety and security; maintains restricted areas safe by
safeguarding keyless entry codes and computer system passwords in strict confidentiality.
7. Must comply with practice HIPPA requirements.
8. Maintains patient waiting areas, office files, and front-desk areas in a manner that is organized and neat.
9. Inform patient/parent of existing balance and request patient payment at the time of the visit.
10. Call patients daily to confirm next day’s appointment.
11. Verifies method of payment for service (Medicare, private insurance, private payee,
MassHealth, etc.) and collects data and/or payment as appropriate.
12. Exercise problem-solving and conflict resolution skills when handling patient complaints; refer patient complaints to appropriate designated personnel as needed.
13. Attend scheduled staff meetings.
14. Performs other duties as may be required.
1. Understands the importance of maintaining confidentiality; able to maintain confidentiality under HIPAA standards.
2. Must have excellent customer service skills, communication skills,cultural sensitivity, and demonstrated ability to work.
3. Intermediate to advanced phone skills; able to effectively relate via the telephone and in-person to serve the needs of patients/parents/visitors in a manner that is efficient and productive.
4. Well developed verbal and written communication skills in English; Additional
language abilities desirable.
5. Knowledge of basic math and modern office procedures.
6. Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision. Proven flexibility and willingness to handle a variety of tasks.
7. Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends.
8. Basic to intermediate computer knowledge and skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Graduation from high school or equivalent plus six months of medical receptionist experience in comparable health care setting.
2. Prior administrative or clerical experience in clinical or community-based setting highly