Bridgewater Pediatrics is excited to offer lactation consultations for breastfeeding moms. Call our office to schedule an appointment.
A Lactation Consultation Would Be Helpful If:
- Your baby is having a difficult time latching on
- Mom has pain while breastfeeding
- Mom has nipple pain and/or damage
- Your baby is more than 3 days old and you do not hear swallowing or gulping while breastfeeding
- Your baby is sleepy and has fewer than 8 feedings in 24 hours
- At 3 days old your baby is not having 3 wet diapers & 3 yellow bowel movements in 24 hours
- After breastfeeding your baby is not satisfied and acts hungry
- Your baby is not gaining weight or has lost weight
- Mom is concerned that her milk supply is low
- Mom is using a nipple shield
- Mom complains her breasts are full/firm, heavy, and uncomfortable, and as a result her baby has a difficult time latching (engorgement)
- Mom complains one or both breasts are painful to touch, hard, red, or if mom has flu-like symptoms or an elevated temperature (mastitis)
- You intend to return to work or school
During Your Personal Consultation:
- We will review your pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding history, as well as your goals, expectations and concerns.
- There will be a physical exam of your breasts and an observation of a breastfeeding session to enable us to offer specific suggestions to enhance your breastfeeding experience.
- If you have a pump, you can be given a demonstration on how to use your pump.
- Included with your consultation is unlimited phone support.
Scheduling a Lactation Consultation:
- If you feel a lactation consultation would be helpful, call Bridgewater Pediatrics office at 508.697.8116.
- Plan on an office visit of 60 minutes, and mom is welcome to bring another support person to the appointment.
Links and Resources:
We recommend the following resources: